||Origins of the Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA) and the disciplinary areas of Economics, Marketing, Production & Quantitative Methods, Business Policy, Finance & Accounting and Organizational Behaviour
||Computer Centre established
||IIMA Working Paper Series initiated
||Public Systems Group (PSG) established
||First issue of Vikalpa, IIMA’s journal
||Ravi J. Matthai Centre for Educational Innovation (RJMCEI) formally established
||Communication Area established
||Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) established
||Centre for Management of Health Services (CMHS) established
||IIMA-Idea Telecom Centre of Excellence (IITCoE) MoU signed
||India Gold Policy Centre (IGPC) established
||JSW School of Public Policy established
||Gender Centre established
IIMA faculty have had diverse research interests spanning fields within management and beyond. The Research & Publications division have annual reports on the research output of the faculty members since 1967, available on this link
. IIMA’s Vikram Sarabhai library hosts much of this research output and is accessible on this link
IIMA's research contributions have often been pioneering whether they have been in the fields of human resources development, finance, organizational behaviour, marketing, operations research or business history.
Action research has also been an important avenue for many faculty of IIMA. From Ravi Matthai’s Jawaja experiment in rural Rajasthan to Anil Gupta’s work on grassroots entrepreneurship, a wide canvas has been sketched by numerous faculty and students in researching and triggering change.
The supporting research staff- analysts, assistants, associates- have played a crucial role in facilitating the research ecosystem at IIMA. One such research staff member, Jahar Saha, rose up within the ranks to become faculty and then Director of IIMA, and another, Narayana Murthy, spearheaded India’s IT revolution via Infosys, before becoming the Chairperson of IIMA’s Board of Governors.
IIMA regularly set up research centres over several decades to examine the pressing questions of the day. Centres that are not mentioned in the above timeline are listed below:
- Banking Studies Project (1969-71)
- Centre for Regional Management Studies (1972-73 to 1998-99)
- The Computer & Information Systems Group was set up in the 1970s and evolved into the Information Systems Area in 2013-14
- The Personnel and Industrial Relations disciplinary area was renamed Human Resources Management in 2015-16.
- Entrepreneurship Group (1991-92 to 1995-96)
- Industrial Policy Management Group (1991-92 to 1995-96)
- International Management Group (1991-92 to 1998-99, 2000-01 to 2004-05)
- Centre for Infrastructure Policy & Regulation (CIPR) was set up in 2006
- Centre for Telecom Policy Studies was set up in 2003-04 and later merged with the IIMA-Idea Telecom Centre of Excellence in 2007.
- Centre for Retailing (2005-06 to 2016-17)
- Centre for E-Governance (2006-07 to 2013-14)
- Insurance Research Centre (2006-07)
- Gender Resource Centre was established in 2006 and renamed as the Centre for Gender Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity (GEDI) in 2011-12