The Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum, Ahmedabad
"The painted cloths and miniatures from Muni Punyavijayji's Jain collection includes some rare painted wooden book covers (patli) created for palm-leaf manuscripts."
Gujarat, where IIMA is located, has a rich and living heritage that many museums seek to nurture. In this issue, we focus on Ahmedabad's Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum. We hope you enjoy reading about what this museum has to offer.
The Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum is one of the finest museums of Indian art and coinage in Gujarat. It has a wide range of sculptures, bronzes, illustrated manuscripts, miniature paintings and drawings, carved wood, ancient and contemporary coins, textiles, and bead work on display. These span more than 2000 years of Indian art history, and represent the entirety of the Indian subcontinent.
The museum began with a collection of manuscripts, bronzes and cloth paintings donated by the visionary Jain monk Muni Punyavijayji in 1956. The museum moved to a new building in 1984 designed by the internationally acclaimed architect Balkrishna V. Doshi. In what follows we highlight some of the features of the museum.
The painted cloths and miniatures from Muni Punyavijayji's Jain collection includes some rare painted wooden book covers (patli) created for palm-leaf manuscripts. A Jaina pilgrimage painting on cloth executed in 1433 at Champaner (Gujarat) is the earliest example of such a painting on cloth. Other exceptional examples include the illustrated manuscripts of the Kalakacharya Katha (c.1430) in Mandu style, the Sangrahani Sutra (1583), painted by Chitara Govinda, the Shripala Rasa (18th century), painted Vijnapatipatra (invitation) from Ahmedabad (1796), several rare cosmological diagrams called Adhidvipa (c.1440 A.D.) and the Jaina Siddha-Chakra-Yantra.
The Curatorial Team, LD Museum
2022-23 @ All Rights Reserved.
Website developed and maintained by IIMA Archives under the guidance of Vikram Sarabhai Library, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad